Viewing a property is exciting, but it’s all too easy to be carried away by the heart and not dig into the practicalities of what living in the property would be like. It’s also easy to see just the positives in a property when you are looking for an investment.
Here’s a way to maintain some objectivity during a viewing and clarity when reflecting on what you’ve just seen.
Getting the most from a viewing means coming away and feeling that you’ve answered all your property questions. Think about these questions ahead of a viewing and use them to create a checklist that helps you assess objectively how the property measures up against your own criteria.
A checklist will benefit from including specific questions about each property, but there should also be a set of core questions you want answered for every potential home you view. These questions should address:
- What decorating is needed?
- How are the electrics, boiler, etc?
- Is any modernisation needed?
- Where would your belongings fit?
- Is it a listed building in a conservation area?
- What is included in the sale?
- Do alterations have planning consent?
- Are there signs of structural concerns?
These questions help present the reality of what living in this property would be like, and the level of investment that may be needed after purchased.
Luxury property considerations
If you’re considering a luxury property, there will be additional aspects to take into consideration, such as:
- Smart home features
- Space for art and collections
- Facilities in a chef’s kitchen
- Architectural features for character
The role of the estate agent
Viewing a property is essential to get a “feel” for the property, but a good estate agent should provide you with additional insights about the property, market and local area, important for both homeowners and investors. Questions you may want to ask include:
- Why is the property being sold?
- What offers are being made in the area?
- What are the local amenities like?
- What development is planned for the area?
- What are market fluctuations like in the area?
- When did it sell last and at what price?
- Typical rental prices in the area?
- What is happening in the surrounding property markets?
Finding your ideal home or making an investment should be based on a clear set of criteria which reflect what is driving you to look for a new property. Having this clarity will help you save time in your search and find your perfect property.
Aston Chase Estate Agents
We are a London estate agent office which boasts sales and letting agents with specialist knowledge of Hampstead and other areas of north London. Our experienced team has built a reputation for professionalism and trustworthiness through their in-depth knowledge and expertise in their specialist sectors of the market.
Our reputation for professionalism and customer service is important to us.
Please contact us to discuss how we can help you with your property matters.